Re: RAMblings

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 22:49:50 EDT

Ray Irons wrote:
>>On Thu, August 10, 2006 8:27 pm, Terrible Tom wrote:
>>
>>>The Ram is again having the same problems with
>>
>>power loss, misfires, and
>>
>>>stumbling. I've changed the cap, rotor, plugs,
>>
>>wires, not recently...
>>
>>>but back the last time this was happening. That
>>
>>had no effect. I also
>>
>>>changed the TPS sensor... (thought that might also
>>
>>account for the very
>>
>>>touchy throttle I have) no dice. It occured to
>>
>>me perhaps a crank
>>
>>>position sensor. The truck acts like its tming
>>
>>gets screwed up...
>>
>>>misfiring... never once has the check engine
>>
>>light come on when this
>>
>>>happens. It sometimes just stopps doing it as
>>
>>abruptly as it starts, as
>>
>>>it did today while driving. Other times the only
>>
>>way I got it to stop
>>
>>>was to kill the engine and restart.
>>>
>>>I really wished today that I had the laptop and
>>
>>diagnostics software set
>>
>>>up that walt has in his Ram. I would really like
>>
>>to see what the
>>
>>>sensors report when it barfs like that.
>>

> Tom, this maybe kinda dumb to ask, but have you load
> tested the battery? Newer Mopar's are well known to
> act weird when the battery is about to go. I remember
> my Dak acted very much like your Ram is acting now
> when my battery went south.

Hi Ray! I load tested the battery mmmm - don't remember when - might
have been about a year ago. I suppose its time to do it again... but
I'm leaning to a sensor. I'm also thinking the truck could benefit from
an intake cleaning... because it needs it now that I think about it -
more than an attempt to fix this misfire problem.

I can't seem to find a pattern. I've been shifting with the lever a lot
lately. Keep the truck in 1st off a light, hammer it up to 4200 rpm or
so, upshift into 2nd, up to 4000+ RPM, shift into Drive, up higher RPM
again, then in OD... uhh... on the highway... right... i'd never do
that on surface streets.... :-X

Never once stumbles during any of that. Does it more at lower RPM's in
town however. It was doing it before I ever hooked up the Power
Programmer. Someone once said that might have something to do with it.
  Could be - but I dunno. arugh..

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine