Re: Re: Radiator drain

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 10:32:46 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
: <snip>
:> (A possible "bonus"? is if you do discover that you drank some of the
:> stuff is then you get to chug an entire bottle of Everclear without
:> the social stigma which would normally accompany such an act.) ;-)
:>

: Hmmm, everclear cures glycol poisoning? didn't know that.

   Yep - well, alcohol specifically, but I just mentioned Everclear
since it has such a high alcohol content. If you go to the hospital
emergency room for glycol poisoning, they will probably stick an IV
in your arm and give you an Everclear drip.

   I don't recall the specific chemicals involved, but basically
what's going on is that ethelene glycol itself is actually harmless.
What is harmful is when the glycol hits your liver, it will get
broken down into a chemical (or chemicals) which *are* dangerous.
However, given the choice between breaking down ethelene glycol
and alcohol, your liver prefers the alcohol. So, by consuming a
good quantity of alcohol, your liver will process the alcohol
instead and just let the antifreeze pass harmlessly through your
system.

   Its just sort of an interesting situation where you need to
convince your own body not to poison itself, and the alcohol
does that. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-