RE: Re: Radiator drain

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 11:27:11 EDT

Yep. It works. The ethanol is a competative inhibitor to the enzyme
alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). ADH takes apart ehtylene glycol in much
the same way that it takes apart ethanol, except the parts
(glycoaldehyde and it's byproducts glycoxalate and oxalate) are more
dangerous to your kidneys than the relatively benign byproducts of
ethanol. If you get more ethanol in there to keep the ADH busy, it has
less time to act on the ethelyne glycol and produce the toxic
byproducts. The old treatment was, indeed, ethanol infusion and renal
dialysis. There are drugs available that have a much, much, much higher
affinity for this enzyme than ethanol, so are quicker to act and hang
onto the ADH longer.

Why I remember this random crap from college years ago, I'll never know.
Maybe it had to do with some applied and practical ethanol experience.
Seems like I have to write everything else down.