Re: Tie Rod Replacement

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 17:54:33 EDT

Hi Tom,

I have a 1999 4x4 and as far as I can tell, do not have Rack and Pinion.
The outer tie rods had a castle nut. It came out very easily out of the
steering knuckle. It is threaded into one end of the inner tie rod. On the
other end of that, it has a boot covering a very rusted ball joint type
conection. This

The inner tie rod assembly is threaded into the center link almost the same
way the inner and outer tie rod are joined. The inner tie rod does have two
flat spots on it to accept a wrench, but I can't find one to fit over it;
nor i there enough clearance to swing anything with enough leverage.

I've figured that the only hope is to get a crowfoot wrench that accepts a
1/2" drive socket and use extenders to get outside the wheel well. None of
the stores around here cary crowfoot wrenches large enough.

Chris