Re: Tie Rod Replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 19:52:40 EDT

Chris Reck wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I have a 1999 4x4 and as far as I can tell, do not have Rack and Pinion.
> The outer tie rods had a castle nut. It came out very easily out of the
> steering knuckle. It is threaded into one end of the inner tie rod. On the
> other end of that, it has a boot covering a very rusted ball joint type
> conection. This
>
> The inner tie rod assembly is threaded into the center link almost the same
> way the inner and outer tie rod are joined. The inner tie rod does have two
> flat spots on it to accept a wrench, but I can't find one to fit over it;
> nor i there enough clearance to swing anything with enough leverage.
>
> I've figured that the only hope is to get a crowfoot wrench that accepts a
> 1/2" drive socket and use extenders to get outside the wheel well. None of
> the stores around here cary crowfoot wrenches large enough.
>
> Chris

  Chris, sounds like they changed the steering linkage set up in the
GenIII's. I'll go out and look at the linkage on my 95 to see what that
looks like... but I don't have anything like that on Christine. I'll
see if I can snap a pic of what I have. Any chance you can get a pic of
what you are working on? I dont have and GenIII manuals around here.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine