Re: Rear Brake Line

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2006 - 12:46:07 EDT

--- Garret Lewis <ladysmithgwl@1bigred.com> wrote:

> Well, a little work on the Dak for me. I went to
> town today and my left
> rear brake line developed a leak. Has anyone had to
> replace their rear
> brake lines? If so, how much of a pain is it?
> Also, did you make/bend your
> own brake line or were you able to find one premade.
>
> Any input and/or advice would be appreciated before
> I start turning the
> wrenches.
>
> Garret
> 1997, V8, 4X4, CC

Garret,
   I haven't had the pleasure of replacing a brake
line on my Dak, but I did have to accomplish that
repair on my previous truck, a 4X4 Ranger. Having
recently left the employ of a major auto parts chain
(I won't give you the name but I'll give you the
initials, Autozone, did I say that out loud? LOL) I
can tell you you will only be able to get straight
pieces of brake line. I suggest you remove the old
line and take it with you. That way the parts rep can
match up the end fittings, and help you determine what
length line you need. You may not find one exactly the
length you have now so some more bends may be
necessary. You may also have to get 2 pieces of line
and a coupling to splice them together and make a line
long enough. I will say this, do NOT under any
circumstances cut out the bad section and try to
splice in a section of rubber hose. That is extremely
dangerous. As a temporary repair, you could get a
short section of steel line and splice it in using a
compression fitting. I do not recommend doing this as
a permanent repair. If you go to Autozone they usually
have a tubing bender on the loan a tool program. If
their is out, they might also have one in the tool
sale section. I know I bought mine several years ago
when I repaired the Ford and that's the only time I
have had to use it. A bunch of my friends have
borrowed it since then, but I've only needed to use it
once. Also, when you are done replacing the line, you
need to properly bleed all the lines. Start with the
right rear wheel then the left rear, right front, left
front.

Good Luck with your repair,

Ray

Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.