Re: rack & pinon

From: thebearcentral@cox.net
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 08:30:28 EDT

In article <44F39917.80007@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:

> thebearcentral@cox.net wrote:
> > the truck is a 93 dak v6 4x4 stock at this except 30x9.5 Tires. i have been
> > stuck driving a rack for a long time.
>
> Ok - still not sure what you mean by "rack" 4x4 Dakotas up until the
> later model years in the Gen III series, all used a recirculating ball
> (worm gear) style steering gear box... the more traditional "vague
> feeling" steering device.
>
> > I kinda like the return feel. not sure if
> > it would hold up to the stress.
>
> Honestly I'm partial to the feel of the steering gear style systems,
> primarily because almost all of the things I have ever driven had that
> style steering. The Rack and Pinion system on my 2002 Explorer is way
> too touchy for my taste. A little over responsive if you ask me.
>
> Also what do you mean "hold up to the stress" - stress of what?
>
> > the bottom line is that it all needs to be
> > replaced from the stearing shaft to the hubs. it's all got miles on it. so
if i
> > am gona jump in a hole, i mite as well go head first......
> > mite be a good winter project to keep me in trouble.
> >
> > just a thought.
> >
> > Chris
>
> So you are looking at basically rebuilding the entire steering and drive
> line? Or just the steering? (Steering shaft, steering gear box, pitman
> arm, idler arm, inner and outer tierods? )
>
> If you want to replace the steering shaft, go after market. The
> steering shaft on my Ram is toast and only after 61K miles. Its
> klunking like the freaking front axle is about to fall off the truck.
> Christine's is bad too. The stupid slip shafts wear out and klunk
> something horrible.
>
> Mike, Walt? You guys saw and felt the slop in the Rams steering shaft...
> you guys know of a place to get an after market (read: beefy, tough)
> shaft? Something maybe to eliminiate the rag joint while we're at it?

thanks for the reply. Christine and walt's truck are some of the motivations
that lead me to pull this truck out of the woods and start this trip to who
knows. maybe i shoulden't re envent the wheel.
I will look in to the slip shaft.
you can move the stearing shaft in the steering gear box. and yes i did chang
the pitman arm because it was worse. it dosen't leak yet but i am sure it adds
to the larg gap in the wheel.

time to go to work happy daking

Chris