Detecting bad tie rods and ball joints??

From: mike kulczycki (dakota1994@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 08:20:54 EDT

I am looking for some help on detecting bad ball joints and tie rods. I am
about to replace my leaky steering rack. I am going to have everything apart
anyway so I am wondering if I should be replacing other parts also. I have
173k miles on my 94 Dakota. The tie rods probably have 60k miles, so they
shouldn't be bad. But my steering has been real touchy and not feeling right
for sometime. The upper ball joints probably have 60k miles also. But the
lowers are the originals. I am wondering if I should just replace them while
it's apart. I am going to get a front end alignment afterwards anyway. So
they'll be able to tell me if something is not right. But then I'll have to
take it back home and tear it apart again. Just wondering if I can test it
in my garage to tell what is bad. I have replaced ball joints and everything
on the front end on my 95, so I know it isn't that hard. Any help is
appreciated...
Thanks...

Mike K
94 SLT,CC,239,2wd,auto