Re: Fuel Problem

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 17:37:02 EDT

"Jamie Calder" <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

: My '96 Dakota will only run on the first 6-9 gallons of gas after a fill up.
: After that it will stumble or only go 5-10 MPH until finally dying. After a
: fill up it's back to normal. It seems almost as though the gravity from a
: full tank helps get the fuel flowing. A pressure gauge shows 44 PSI.
: Any Ideas?

  Is the pressure gauge hooked up all the time? If so, what
does it read when its going through its stumbling routine?
Sounds like its probably related to the in-tank pump or pickup.
I've never had one out so I'm not completely sure what the
design is like, but it sounds almost like there is a hole
partway up, where once the fuel level drops below it, it starts
sucking air instead of fuel. At any rate, you might want to
either drop the tank or lift the bed (most folks say that the
latter is easier) and just do a visual inspection of the in-tank
pump and pickup.

--
                                          -Jon-