Re: Fuel Problem

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 22:11:24 EDT

James, unfortunately I can't offer any advice, but I can tell you my
'94 truck does the same thing (actually it's my '89 with the tank and
fuel lines out of a '94). I lucked out and can get 17 gallons before
it stumbles and stutters (22gal tank). When I installed the tank a
couple months ago, I (stupidly) didn't open it up to check the
pump/pickup/sending unit. Eventually I'll drop it again. If you do it
before me, would you take digital pictures? I'll do the same.

As for dropping the tank... it's not *too* bad. Since I've never
lifted the bed, I'm going to say dropping the tank is easier. If you
have a fuel tank skidplate, it's a few more rusty bolts to fight with.
If you've got any rust under there, get in your dirtiest of dirty
clothes for this job. All that rust will fall on you in a powder of
particles ranging in size from pennies to individual molecules (you
think I exaggerate... just wait till you try scrubbing that crap out
of your skin after it got *through* your layered clothing!) When the
book says to empty the tank first, listen. DAMHIK. Also, the FSM
suggests using a tranny jack. It's not required, but if you already
have one, it will make the job easier... and may allow you to do it
without emptying the tank first.

Don in CT
89 Dakota Convertible 5.2mag NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340