Re: 3.9 Cooling Question

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 18:55:13 EDT

On Mon, August 21, 2006 11:20 pm, ctandc wrote:

> Has anyone here every removed the thermo clutch fan from a 3.9 Dakota that
> also has an electric fan?
>
> I would wonder about the aux electric cooling fan being good enough to cool
> maybe a V-8 on it's own...but I would think the fan could handle the 3.9....
>
> But I know from prior experiences with other project cars ( mainly GM ) that
> getting rid of the clutch fan in favor of electric is usually worth some
> 'free HP'....and in the process making the engine more efficient as well.
>
> I was also thinking a 180 degree thermostat would be worth a shot as
> well...most GM's I've worked responded very well this change.
>
> I'm not looking to make the 3.9 a tire burning monster...but a more
> efficient motor could never hurt.

I run my 2000 3.9L with only the factory e-fan. I've got a 180 stat in there
and it stays cool just fine, even in traffic unless it's horrible stop and
go.

For those really hot days, I've put a switch in the stock wiring so that I
can turn the fan on whenever I want, because the PCM won't turn it on until
215.

I'll be going with a dual electric setup or viper fan (I'm still undecided)
as my winter project though.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.