Re: Fuel Problem

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 19:20:51 EDT

"Jamie Calder" <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

: Another update:

: I thought that it was the end of the metal line that was flared to accept
: the quick connect coming from the fuel rail, but it's the fuel rail that has
: the flared end and the end of the metal line has about 8" of braided line
: with the QC on the end.
: So if I replace the metal line, I'll have to cut and clamp the braided line
: with the QC to the end of the new metal line...
: Does it sound like I'm getting warmer?

   I had a similar problem with my '92 Ram a few years ago. I
have a remote start on it and as I was about to go somewhere, I
hit the button as I walked by. As soon as the fuel pump turned
on, I saw a stream of gas spraying out under the truck; one of
the hard lines had rusted through.

   I noticed that there were a couple of braided stainless style
hoses that connected to the hard line and ran up towards the
engine. I didn't want to mess with those quick connect fittings
which are all cruddy and rusted up, and who knows if they are
still available or not, so what I ended up doing was cutting the
braided stainless line and putting an AN fitting on it. I used
an AN to NPT adapter to be able to install a hose barb on the end,
then ran about 4-5 feet of fuel injection rated hose to the tank
(or the fuel filter, I don't remember which line it was). Its
been working fine that way for years.

--
                                          -Jon-