Re: Utility Trailers

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2006 - 22:41:20 EDT

Hey, Jon...

<snip> Heck, as long as we are sort've off topic - something I don't
 understand about those trucks is that they are called a deuce and
 a half, because their payload is 2.5 tons (5,000lbs). That's not
 the part I don't get; the part I don't get is that my Ram dually
 has a payload of nearly 5,000lbs, and that 6x6 has got to be so
 much more heavy duty than my Ram that it isn't even funny. Are
 they just seriously underrated<snip>

The Deuce-and-a-half is NO WAY underrated, Mr. Steiger, & they were a BLAST
to drive in 6X6!
The 2-1/2 ton capacity is the rating for BATTLEFIELD conditions.
Cross-country(side) in 6x6.
I don't thinh your dually Ram would last a couple hundred miles thru the
woods with 5K lbs in the back...But then again, I've met you in person & I
think You might try it to prove me wrong...LOL...
If you wouldn't, I bet the Adam Blaster would!
I can also tell you that if you get a 6X6 STUCK in German mud, Ya gotta have
a tracked vehicle - we hadda use a tank - to get out! First hand experience
there...

<snip> Another example is the 1/4ton
trailers that were pulled behind the Jeeps. That's only 500lbs.
 Heck, we throw more than 500lbs into the cheap little ATV trailer
here all the time, and those Jeep trailers are clearly much more
 sturdy than this ATV trailer<snip>

Again, that's over rivers & mountains & thru the woods & stuff...

On a related note, ya got me reminiscing & a google produced this:

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/id_m37_sm.gif

We had Jeep 5/4 ton pick-ups...no Dodges...*sigh*

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +
V-6 4 x 4 5 speed