Re: seat upgrade

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 22:20:38 EDT

The durango seats will bolt in, but you'll need to use the brackets your
existing seats are using now. Swapping them is simple, but you'll need
an extended torx bit to unbolt the brackets. You'll also want to remove
the two braces that hold the center bench part together... just drill
the rivets and you're done with that.

Now the tricky part... If you swap the seats you'll probably have
nothing in the middle. At first I built a console myself, worked good
for a while. Here's a pic of what I did:

http://garyhedlin.com/interior2.jpg

Nothing dramatic, just pressboard covered with viynl.

But then one day I saw a nicer console in a durango from a junkyard, so
I grabbed it. What bit me in the a$$ during the install was I found out
that the cab floor on the 97-99 daks are not level like in the 00-03
daks & durangos. Plus the trans tunnel is narrower on the 97-99's. So
I had to lift up the carpet and use some wood to level out the floor and
  give the area above the trans tunnel more width. Once you lay the
carpet back down and the carpet lays down right, you never know theres
wood under there. Here's a pic after that endeavor:

http://garyhedlin.com/newconsole.jpg

So yes they do bolt in, but be prepared to do some handy-work to get
things looking right.

Gary Hedlin
98 Dakota RC Sport 3.9
05 Dakota CC SLT 4.7