Re: What Plugs For My 4.7L V8?

From: Kyle Kozubal (lpd111@msn.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 13:46:46 EDT

I have always used, and liked, the Autolite Copper series. I have used the
5224 and 3924/3923s in my old 3.9L '93 Dakota and old 5.9L '01 Ram, with
really good results.

I have found, though, that these plugs wear out fast. Now, I had no problem
with this on my previous trucks, because I could swap out the plugs and
install new ones in less than 20 minutes.

However, with this 4.7L V8, it looks like a 1+ hour job. I was hoping to
find something with more lifespan than the $0.99 Autolite Coppers.

My understanding, for the normal 4.7L V8, I need “Fired in suppressor seal”
type spark plugs using a copper core ground electrode. Thus, this would be
the Autolite Coppers. But why????????

P/N SPRC12MCC4
(formerly 56028236AA)

Type: RC12MCC4
0.40 in. gap

Now, why does the 4.7L V8 HO motor use 'Unique platinum-tipped' spark plugs,
that fFeature a platinum rivet located on the tip of the center electrode???

P/N SPRC7PYCB4

Type: RC7PYCB4
0.40 in. gap

Thanks again for any and all info!