Re: What Plugs For My 4.7L V8?

From: Biff Byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 20:29:16 EDT

Guys, take a look at that and see if it makes sense to you. It's from 1999,
and some numbers have changed. But it was pretty interesting to me.

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/SparkPlugs/spark_plugs.htm

For all magnums up through 1996, the best stock plug is the A3924 or 3923.
Regardless of what Bernd said, I have used the AP3924 for over 300,000 and
can't find the random misfires that they are supposed to produce.

>From what I've been told, for 1997 and up magnums, CC called for the 5224 or
equivalent. I checked at a parts house just a while ago and he said 439,
which cross references to a 5224. Last year I put a set of NGK FR5-1's in my
friend's '98 Laramie 4x4. Time to change them out now, but my friend seems
to think they ran fine. I ran a set in my '95 3.9 for about 15,000, they
seemed to run just the same as the 3924's.

If you read that link all the way through, you might get a little confused
at everything that seems to be available for these engines. But at least it
explains some of the different attributes of the plugs, so you should be
able to go from there. By the way, abasic difference between the 3924 and
the 5224 is the tip length. It's about 2 mm longer on the 5224, and the 985,
used in the 3.3L-3.8L family when it first came out, is even longer than the
5224, by about another 2 mm. This could get interesting, heck, it is right
now. Biff Byrum