Re: Utility Trailers

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 16:24:09 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>
> : David Henry wrote:
> :> Wouldn't they just ship to your place as usual?
> :>
>
> : I'm concerned that if I shipped a military truck to Jon's, I might never
> : see it again, except the occasional glimpse through the trees as he
> : tears through the woods with it.
>

> Well, it *would* need regular excersize of course... :-)
>

> Hmmm, when we play paintball at the BBQ, I call dibs on the 6x6!
> ;-) If we can get Barry to build about ten gattling guns for the back,
> it could be a formidable platform. :-)
>

> Heck, as long as we are sort've off topic - something I don't
> understand about those trucks is that they are called a deuce and
> a half, because their payload is 2.5 tons (5,000lbs). That's not
> the part I don't get; the part I don't get is that my Ram dually
> has a payload of nearly 5,000lbs, and that 6x6 has got to be so
> much more heavy duty than my Ram that it isn't even funny. Are
> they just seriously underrated? Another example is the 1/4ton
> trailers that were pulled behind the Jeeps. That's only 500lbs.
> Heck, we throw more than 500lbs into the cheap little ATV trailer
> here all the time, and those Jeep trailers are clearly much more
> sturdy than this ATV trailer. ???

I would give it a go, esp if I could get my hands on a few of those 300
psi scuba tanks....

A Deuce and a half is exactly that, a 2-1/2 ton truck. It is rated
[IIRC] to carry that two and a half tons under any conditions, up/down
50% grades, 5' of standing water, etc. it was not produced to satisfy
the bigger is more demands of the american consumer market. If they
were marketed like that, they would be known as 10 ton trucks or worse.
  The salient point is that if you tell a soldier the max capacity of
something is 10 pounds, then turn around for a second, he will have
loaded 21 pounds of junk on it. With a M35, that's not a problem.