Shelby Daks (was: 3.9 Cooling Question)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 10:15:37 EDT

Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:

: Sort of, those trucks actually left the "factory" with V6 engines that were
: swapped out with V8s by Shelby in his shop.

    Does anybody know if he just bolted the 318 up to the stock V6
tranny, or was that replaced too? I'm guessing the standard auto
tranny behind the V6 in those days would have been the A500, not
exactly held in high esteem for its strength and durability 'round
these parts. :-)

    Another question - it seems like I recall the Shelby Daks
have a Y in their VIN to indicate the 318 (although I could be
wrong). If this is the case, then Dodge must have shipped him
something different than any old V6 off the line, unless the
VINs were changed after the fact? Does anybody know if the 8th
digit of a Shelby Dakota is an X (v6) or Y (v8)?

--
                                          -Jon-