Re: Shelby Daks (was: 3.9 Cooling Question)

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 12:06:29 EDT

Yes they had the A-500. The A-500 didn't have that reputation yet as it was a
new transmission released near the end of the 88 model year. My 88 Sport has
one but it's not listed in the 88 FSM. The FSM and sales brochures I have list
the A-998 as the automatic transmission. The Sport Package was a mid-year
release in May 1988 and only appeared as a "Coming Soon" in the 88 sales
literature.

My understanding was the actual engine swap was done at Shelby's shop. Those
trucks left the Dodge plant with 3.9s in them, much like the convertibles had
roofs when they got delivered to ASC. I do recall Shelby had a few 3.9
engines on eBay a number of years back. IIRC, the description was they were a
couple of left over Dakota engines and they were auctioning them to clear them
out of the warehouse. I remember posting a link to the auction here on the DML
at the time, but I can't locate it in the archives.

as for the VIN number question, I don't know. I would assume they would have
an "X" because they left the factory with 3.9s. But since it was a factory
authorized conversion, they might have shipped them with a "Y" or re-issued a
new VIN before shipping them to the dealers. It's a good question.

Walt