Re: Wiring A Bed Cap/Topper

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 09:16:52 EDT

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> I picked up a Leer cap for my Dakota Quad Cab yesterday.
>
> It is a top of the line Leer, with the sliding front window, fold down front
> window, frameless side windows, frameless rear window, nice dark tint, and
> carpeted interior.
>
> It is very lightly used, and was only $550, so it beats the $1600+ new price
> tag.

very nice, and very nice price!

> I need to wire the light for the 3RD brake light and also for the cap's
> internal light.
>
> The 'pig-tails' are hanging, so the internal light and 3RD brake light are
> wired up, I just need to tap into the pig-tail and tap this into my truck.
>
> What is the best way to wire the light? I did not like, at all, how ARE
> wired the cap on my old Ram. The truck had to be running and the parking
> lights also had to be on,....how stupid.
>
> What is the best way to wire the 3RD brake light?
>
> Also, do I need to dis-able the 3RD brake light on my truck, so it does not
> come on when then brakes are touched? I really do not want it coming on. I
> was thinking about pulling the fuse (but i am sure it is a 'shared' fuse) or
> by simply taking the bulb(s) out.
>
> Thanks for any and all info!

If you've got the factory 7 pin round trailer wiring harness, you can tap
an always-live 12v and a brakes-only wire from there. By far the easiest
way to do it.

If you don't want your CHMSL to come on, pull the bulb. I notice the
light in my cap shining through the back of it's fixture more than I
notice my center highmount between the cab and cap. In fact, I don't
think I can even see it.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |