Wiring A Bed Cap/Topper

From: Kyle Kozubal (lpd111@msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 20:42:05 EDT

I picked up a Leer cap for my Dakota Quad Cab yesterday.

It is a top of the line Leer, with the sliding front window, fold down front
window, frameless side windows, frameless rear window, nice dark tint, and
carpeted interior.

It is very lightly used, and was only $550, so it beats the $1600+ new price
tag.

I need to wire the light for the 3RD brake light and also for the cap's
internal light.

The 'pig-tails' are hanging, so the internal light and 3RD brake light are
wired up, I just need to tap into the pig-tail and tap this into my truck.

What is the best way to wire the light? I did not like, at all, how ARE
wired the cap on my old Ram. The truck had to be running and the parking
lights also had to be on,....how stupid.

What is the best way to wire the 3RD brake light?

Also, do I need to dis-able the 3RD brake light on my truck, so it does not
come on when then brakes are touched? I really do not want it coming on. I
was thinking about pulling the fuse (but i am sure it is a 'shared' fuse) or
by simply taking the bulb(s) out.

Thanks for any and all info!