Oil Filter Tech

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 22:56:11 EDT

After my last reply, I googled oil filter bypass valves. And yes - much
to my surprise, the bypass valve is part of an oil filter. Which makes
sense now that I think about it - the oil filter mounting boss on the
block is part of the engine block. If ther ewas a valve in there, there
would be no way to service it.

I found a very interesting web site. I don't know if it has been posted
on here before, but heres the info for all to see. Personally, I jsut
learned more about oil filters tonight thatn I ever knew before.

data

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

overview

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Having read this, I'm convinced that the high flow oil pump I put in,
has something to do with my oil filter oddity. Still, save for Jason's
vaccum theory, I don't understand how the filter could have been empty.
Expecially given the fact I fully prefill my filters. (fully, meaning I
pour oil in, let it soak in to the media and then add more till its
almost full)

When I get a chance, I'm cutting that filter open to check it out.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine