Re: RE: Plugging tires

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 11:42:12 EDT

   My wife picked up a nail coming home from the dealer the same day we
picked up the brand new 2003 Durango.

   After I did a bunch of swearing I put a plug in it and we have 97,000
miles on the original Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires and should get about
105 to 110,000 out of them (good thing I rotate them regularly). She
drives 130 miles round trip to work each day when she drives the carpool.

  So the answer is YES you can get over 50,000 miles out of a plugged
tire. Why wouldn't you?.

  As long as it is in the tread and not the sidewall, go for it.

  I would suggest that if you plug it yourself that you not only use the
plug, but you get a tube of rubber cement and coat the plug before
inserting it. I've always done it that way and have never had a problem.

  I wish I had pictures of a old BFG tire that a friend cut on a trail and
didn't have a spare. It had a 2" sidewall gash and we had to do something.
It was a toyota pickup, no other trucks had the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

  He was an upholsterer by trade and he had needles and cord with him. He
'stiched' the gash up, I filled it with tire plugs and rubber cement waited
about 2 hours for the whole mess to cure better, added air and made the 150+
miles back home. He lost about 8 lbs of pressure during the ride so it
wasn't perfect, but it was driveable.

  Plug away!!

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org

"If a woman speaks in the forest with no man near to hear her, is she still complaining? Of course."