Re: Re: Shock Bolts again...

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 08:26:20 EDT

Hey, Hop*

<snip> I'll have to buy some new bits on the way home.
 Anything special to look for at the depot for bolts?<snip>

Ya might wanna find some Grade 8 bolts. I don't think Cheapo Depot has
em...Maybe a local industrial hardware distributor?
I sucked it up & got em from the stealer @ $6 each...They've got a M12 x
1.75 Thread...Helicoil kit cost me about $50 - I think...

<snip> Looks to me like the stock bolt was threaded all the way thru the
shock.
 I would have thought that there would have been a shoulder on the bolt
 for the shock to rest on.<snip>

My OEM bolts weren't completely threaded. There was a solid - unthreaded
diameter which supported the shock..the threads engages the threaded hole in
the forged boss on the LCA (lower control arm)...

<snip> I went ahead and removed the shock.
 Sure makes for a fun drive with the front end bouncing around. LOL
 I should have pulled both front shocks so it would atleast bounce front to
 back and not pitch left rear to right front.. I think i'm a little sea
sick.<snip>

Yow! I woulda left it in. Like I said, there's a depression to nest the
lower portion in the LCA...

<snip> I'm still on the original U-joints (165k) 'knocks on wood'.<snip>

Double Yow! That's impressive! I think mine wore out at about 80K...

<snip> Last week it flooded pretty bad down here and i was driving the dak
thru 3'
high water.It would have made Tom proud!<snip>

Ahhhh...The original Aqua-Dak!

<snip> I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the u-joints go. Found a
place to
do the rear ring, pinion, and bearings for $800. The posi unit is another
$320 if it bad.<snip>

I think a local indy did mine for about $600 +/-...Might wanna shop
around...

<snip> I'm starting to wonder if it would be cheaper to have a new truck
payment.<snip>

I thought about it - even priced a 2006 SY 4X4, but I couldn't afford 26K &
I don't care for the electronic 4X4 shift button...
I get letters from local stealers who want to buy the DAKSY, saying they hav
e a waiting list for 2K Daks...maybe because of the positive stick 4X4
shifter?
Instead I picked up a $500 '86 LeSabre with 90K on it...Gets 25 MPG...I can
split the winter driving & save the DAKSY for the more challenging
stuff...Plus, having the Sportster for the fair weather saves me $$$, too,
at 50+ MPG...

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +