Re: Rim Sizes

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 14:46:48 EDT

Remember that MPG relies on your *mileage* calculation being
accurate... so just as if you had changed your gear ratio, you'd have
to remember your odometer (and spedo) will be a little off. On bigger
tires, you travel farther with each tire revolution. So your odo will
show a shorter distance than actually traveled; if you use your odo to
calculate MPG, your MPG will show lower than actual. But back to the
quesiton, yes you'll also get a little lower *actual* MPG with bigger
tires too. :)

Interestingly OMC side-note: the transmission in my truck is from a
'94. The spedometer (and odo) were never accurate with stock tires.
Now I've got 31x10.5s on there, and the spedo matches my GPS speed
exactly! Odd. I can't imagine the previous owner intentionally changed
the spedo pinion... the truck was a daily driver/beater with stock
suspension (torsion bars not even raised).

Don in CT