RE: Jet Chip and Octane Ratings

From: Rick Barnes (rascal@scrtc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 10:06:02 EST

I have a Jet Chip on my 98 5.2 Kyle. I ran a 180 degree thermostat for
years, but in wintertime, the engine would not warm up enough to provide
heat on even 40 degree days, and it was worse when driving down an
interstate. I just recently put a stock 195 degree back in and gloriosky,
HEAT! I also run just plain old 87 octane in mine and have no problems. I
figure that when summer rolls back around, maybe I will just drop a 180
thermostat back in. I will do this if I have overheating issues, but now
that I am in the country, I rarely sit in traffic for long periods of time
like happened when I drove in Atlanta. I cannot say how your 4.7 will react
of course, but this is how my older 5.2 has responded. I still like my Jet
Chip and electric fan on regular gas. I DO add a can of Chevron Techron
fuel injector cleaner at each oil change, its just been a habit, maybe that
helps as well. I have about 163,000 miles on it now.

Rascal