Re: Supercharging the 3.9L, worth it?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 14:21:47 EST

msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com wrote:

: Howdy folks,

: I've been eyeing the vortech kit on KRC for a while. I currently have a 99 3.9L
: V6 Auto R.C. Im not totally sure what the 1/4 times are for it, never taken it
: to the track (about 3600lbs + me(about 190))

: I raced a dually F350 and got my ass handed to me (turbo diesel). I found it
: very saddening my truck which is probably half the weight ended up several car
: lengths behind him at around 65 or so. I had him off the line, but it was
: no-win after 40mph.

  Keep in mind too that he might not have been stock. :-) Most
diesel engines are pretty easy to dial up to obseen power levels;
its not unheard of to be able to get 100hp/lb-ft out of a software
change alone.

: I spoken around with a few people, and everyone is telling me supercharging
: this engine isnt worth it. They say I wont gain more than 35-40hp and I'm going
: to be dissapointed by its performance.

   IIRC, the vortech kit on the 5.2L V8 is advertised around 80hp.
I am assuming you could probably expect about 60hp on the V6. A 35-40hp
increase sounds way too low to me. Somebody else might chime in here,
there are several people who have supercharged the 3.9L V6 on this list.

: Can anyone give me any info on this before i consider dropping the 4k? I was
: thinking of keeping the truck around 2 more years, and wanted to eliminate some
: of its sluggishness. I really dont want to purchase another car/truck at the
: moment, but for 4k i would do the S.C. if it was worth it.

   If you are only going to keep the truck for another 2 years,
I wouldn't bother with the blower. 2 years goes by in a flash,
you'll never get your money back out of it, and only a limited
amount of time to enjoy it before you get rid of the truck. (The
blower might even *decrease* the resale value of your truck unless
you can sell it to an enthusiast.) Throw the $4K into a CD or
something and use it as a down payment for whatever you buy next.
That's just my opinion; if it were me, I wouldn't bother spending
that kind of money on something I'd only be able to enjoy for a
couple of years. If it were me, I'd just live with the sluggishness
and save my money. :-)

: btw- i cant find full 1/4 numbers for a V6 anywhere. Im guessing mine is around
: 17'ish at 79mph?

  That sounds about right. The speed might be a little high,
but somewhere in the 17s sounds like its in the ballpark. You
might be able to find a truck like yours and compare times on
http://www.dragtruk.com

--
                                          -Jon-