Replacing U-Joints

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 19:21:56 EST

Hi,

I started replacing the u-joints in the front driveshaft and got the
single-cardon joint in back repalced just fine. I called AC Delco and they
insisted that the grease fitting (since it's in the cap) go through the yoke
housing to provide stability and so that while spinning, it won't snag on
anything and snap the grease fitting.

When I got to the double-cardon joint, I ran into some problems. I broke a
6" steel c-clamp whil trying to take one of the u-joints out (must not had
it lined up correctly using the sockets). It snapped in the middle of the C
(not the screw or where it goes through). Eventually I got all the u-joints
out of their pieces.

I'm now stuck with a problem... The center of the double-cardon joint needs
replacing. Specifically, the seal and the CV Joint Coupler (I think that's
what it's called). The coupler is the piece that has 1/2 of the c-clamp to
wrap around the u-joint as it hooks up to the front transfer case.

The problem is I can't find this anywhere. I haven't check AZ or Advance
Auto (only chain parts stores in towm) yet, but there is absolutely nothing
online anywhere.

Does someone know where I can get replacement internals for the
double-cardon joint? I'm not comfortable putting it back together as-is
(there are needle bearings in the Joint coupler that I don't want to trust.

Thanks!

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)

"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"