Re: 45RFE output shaft spline count?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 01:56:49 EST

I thought it was fixed yoke - so there would at least be a serious
rear driveshaft change for use of a 241OR in the Dakota. If I'm not
mistaken, the Rubicons use the NV3550 5 speed, same as the Dakotas,
and I think they also used the 545RFE in the newer automatics and the
42RE before that, and I know the non-Rubies used the standard duty
NV231 case, so I'd expect that other than the rear fixed yoke the
case would bolt into a Dakota. I wouldn't think that a slip joint in
as long a single piece shaft as the CC/QC trucks have would be
feasable though, I have enough trouble keeping slip joints together
in my 29" front shaft (I just put in my 3rd slip and 2nd cardan joint
set in 30,000. They just get sloppy - and I don't even keep my hubs
locked, though I do max out the double cardan 1310 at full driver's
droop)

Personally I want to go to fixed yoke with a two piece shaft anyway,
I've already pretzeled mine on a ledge once and had a "friendly"
towtruck driver dent it once as well -- it would be nice to not have
such a fragile, dentible, relatively expensive and rather vital part
dictating my breakover angle.

Unless scoring one from a wreck, going with another option is almost
guaranteed to be more economical (consider a 203/205 doubler for
around a C note if you have fab skills. Upgrade the 205 low range
and be in the same ballpark price with better gears and more options)
and it's not like the Dakota is short on wheelbase -- length of the
solution isn't even a consideration in our trucks, unlike the Sammy
or a Wrangler -- but it would definitely be very simple and solid.
When the truck is still IFS, as long as the front output is clocked
right, the front driveshaft doesn't even have any clearance issue
running above the stock crossmember.

I'll certainly concur on not being able to go slow enough, though I'm
even worse off having not regeared my axles yet and running 4.10s
with 40s with the stock 2.72:1 NV231HD. I really like my current low
range for normal trail driving, but in the rocks it's too high and
lurchy. Hence the 5 speed doubler idea - but the adaptors are a huge
hangup. I don't think I can make something strong enough between the
44RE and the T18, and that's not an adaptor that I want to make a
habit of swapping in trail spares of!!

Just to think out loud for a minute... if I swapped in a 2 wheel
drive tailshaft and figured out a divorce mount for the T-18 at least
I could have an easy-to-change adaptor. Assuming I never snap off
the input of course, which is the next weakest link and would leave
me just as stranded.