Re: 45RFE output shaft spline count?

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 11:21:01 EST

   Swap an NV241OR into a Dakota?

   I guess the real answer to this whole question is.

  Can it be done? Looks like the answer is YES.

  Can it be done in a cost effective manner ? Guess the jury is still out
on this. It should be strong enough to handle V8 power and the
modifications to driveshaft and linkages would be something that wouldn't
be too hard to overcome.

  Can it be done cost effectively? Depends on what you consider a fair
price for lower transfer case gears. If I could come across a NV241OR
transfer case for a decent price I would contemplate the change but not at
the over $2K it would take to get it in.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the very low crawl ratio I have in the suzuki.
Its nice to be able to have that low gearing, and I forget when I take the
Dakota offroad. Its also the Auto vs. 5 speed equation there too. Its also
nice with the Suzuki to not care wether you lay it on its side or not while
trying to climb that 6 foot rock wall ;-) !! I run square driveshafts
front and rear (truck never goes above 40MPH so vibes aren't an issue) and
so far I haven't been able to bend/break the 1/4 hitch steel tubes I'vfe
made.

  My 2002 QC is doing what it is supposed to do, Haul the 'trailer
queen' to the trail and do the occasional fire road or what the forest
service considers an OHV trail here on the east coast. The last so called
OHV trail I ran here in VA I never even stuck it 4WD. Wasn't even worth
stopping to put it in 4lo. I take the Suzuki to the 'pay parks' and get
my frustrations out with it, not the truck I use to get it there.

The aftermarket has never really embraced the Dakota/Durango and your
vehicle is case in point that the IFS front wasn't made to do anything
more than fire roads and to expect more than that is a crap shoot.
All the IFS lift kits appear 'flimsy' and are more for a 'look at me,
I'm lifted... street truck approach' than anything else as far as I
could see. Other message boards/lists really 'dump' on any of the IFS
lift kits and claim they bend easily.

There are some adventurous souls who undertake Solid axle conversions such
as yourself but those are very rare. My dakota is a daily driver and main
source of transportation so I have to consider the changes that I make
will affect overall driveability.

In the end, Lower transfer case gears in the Dakota would be very nice but
unless I win the lottery, I get offered an incredible deal, or an NV241OR
drops out of the sky and lands unscathed in my shop it won't be happening.

  But it is nice to have these kind of discussions as I am always
interested in what can/could be done.

  If I had another Dakota that I could play with it would probably be
turned more into a 'truggy' with no bed and lots of tube and just enough
sheetmetal so that it could still be seen as a Dak from a distance, but
that Is about all.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org