Re: CB in a Gen1-2

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 19:09:35 EST

Don Rey wrote:

> I'm looking at getting a CB, but sqeezing extra sctuff into a regcab
> is always difficult. So, who's got a CB in a Gen 1 or 2? Where did you
> put it? Any pictures of the mounting?
>
> Tom, I know you've got one where the ashtray used to be. How far does
> it stick out...? I have the shifter to deal with on mine, and it
> clears my ashtray by less than in inch in 1st, 3rd, & 5th (in fact, in
> these gears, I can't even open the ashtray fully!) You have any
> pictures?
>
> Also, anyone install their antenna somewhere other than the roof?
> Obviously I don't have a roof... I'm thinking about putting one in my
> brush guard. That poses two slight problems... 1) it will act slightly
> directional mounted there 2) It won't look good as a towering whip -
> I'm thinking 3ft is only slightly obnoxious, but I'm gonna try it. So
> I'm thinking about alternatives or where I might put a second antenna
> (step bumper is the best I've come up with so far). I use my tonneau
> cover, so that rules out most of the bed.
>
> Thanks
> Don in CT
> 89 Dakota Convertible 318 NV3500 4x4
> 74 Dart Sport 340
> pbase.com/radon220/mopars/

I have one of the "all in the mike" Cobra's and I like it. I just
ziptied it to my seat rail and there it sits... As far as the antenna,
have you looked into one of those radio antenna adapters? Since you
dont have much of a ground plane on that truck anyway, the lower
performance of that style of antenna won't hurt you as much, it actually
might be your best option. Plan B would be a handheld.