Re: ball joint repacement

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 16:55:25 EST

If you haven't had them replaced yet, you will need to grind off the rivets
holding them in. Otherwise, they should be bolted in.

When I did mine, I didn't need to remove the shock. I just put the frame on
a jack stand and then jacked under the lower control arm just enough to
barely put tension on it.

The uppers came off very easily with a large hammer and a pickle fork. The
lower ones, though I couldn't figure out how to do without pulling the front
driveshaft (I have 4wd). There wasn't any clearance for the ball joint to
come out of where it was in without hitting the axle housing. I ended up
having the shop deal with the lowers.

BTW, Moog is definitely in my book over Spicer. The Spicers lasted only 60k
before they wore out (even with greasing).

Hope this helps!

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"