Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 17:14:46 EST

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:57:41 -0500, Terrible Tom
<SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> hey folks - gotta pondering topic for ya...
>
> What determines the accuracy of a fuel tank sending unit? Obviously the
> proper float placement has a major impact, if the float is bent it will
> read incorrectly from what its supposed to (bent down, tank will read
> high, bent up - tank will read low...
>
> The sending units basically are resistors, that vary voltage to the
> gauge depending on float position, thus giving a reading on the fuel
> level.
>
> But when it comes to the electronics of it, will a guage read properly -
> if you take a gauge and hook it up to various sending units. For
> example, lets assume that a chevy fuel tank with its stock chevy sending
> unit is wired into the gauge on a dodge instrument cluster. Will the
> dodge gauge read the fuel level in the chevy fuel tank correctly?

That's a good question. I had my sending unit replaced. The new unit seems
be very accurate compared to the original. The mechanic actually told me
to let him know if the unit was reading correctly because the needle didnt
read the same as the unit being replaced.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure