Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 18:10:42 EST

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:57:41 -0500, Terrible Tom
<SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> > hey folks - gotta pondering topic for ya...
> >
> > What determines the accuracy of a fuel tank
> sending unit? Obviously the
> > proper float placement has a major impact, if the
> float is bent it will
> > read incorrectly from what its supposed to (bent
> down, tank will read
> > high, bent up - tank will read low...
> >
> > The sending units basically are resistors, that
> vary voltage to the
> > gauge depending on float position, thus giving a
> reading on the fuel
> > level.
> >
> > But when it comes to the electronics of it, will a
> guage read properly -
> > if you take a gauge and hook it up to various
> sending units. For
> > example, lets assume that a chevy fuel tank with
> its stock chevy sending
> > unit is wired into the gauge on a dodge instrument
> cluster. Will the
> > dodge gauge read the fuel level in the chevy fuel
> tank correctly?

Well Tom, I can only tell you what I have heard. At
one point I had the idea to replace the stock 14 Gal.
fuel tank in my 98 RC with the larger 21 Gal. fuel
tank from another Dakota that had the larger fuel tank
as an option. I talked with a stealer mechanic friend
that told me that I would need to make sure I got the
in tank assembly from the donor truck as well as the
tank as I would need all the internals to make my fuel
gauge rear correctly. I think (and I know what you're
saying, there he goes thinking again!) the intank fuel
pump/sending unit runs thru the PCM to generate a
signal to drive the gauge. Don't know for sure and I
don't know if this helps but hope so.

Ray

PS Get any more seat time on the Honda lately?

Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.