Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 18:36:04 EST

Ray Irons wrote:

> Well Tom, I can only tell you what I have heard. At
> one point I had the idea to replace the stock 14 Gal.
> fuel tank in my 98 RC with the larger 21 Gal. fuel
> tank from another Dakota that had the larger fuel tank
> as an option. I talked with a stealer mechanic friend
> that told me that I would need to make sure I got the
> in tank assembly from the donor truck as well as the
> tank as I would need all the internals to make my fuel
> gauge rear correctly. I think (and I know what you're
> saying, there he goes thinking again!) the intank fuel
> pump/sending unit runs thru the PCM to generate a
> signal to drive the gauge. Don't know for sure and I
> don't know if this helps but hope so.

That makes sense yeah - the hypothetical scenario I am talking about
here would involved a matched fuel tank and sending unit...

I'm thinking of possible issues between the sending unit and the gauge.

I know for a fact the sending unit does not run through the computer in
  ... um.. in this fictitious scenario... that I'm pondering

> Ray
>
> PS Get any more seat time on the Honda lately?
>

> Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine