fan clutch

From: Spook (richardfiser@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 00:19:06 EST

98 Dakota--3.9--46000 miles
Yesterday I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the engine
compartment. I checked the clutch with the engine off. I attempted to
free spin it with the engine off and it only turned a few degrees. Fan
feels tight. I was worried about the water pump but no wobble or
leaking. Today I had someone turn the engine off while I watched the
fan. The engine stopped, squeaking continued till the fan stopped,
approximately 2 revolutions. I've never heard a fan clutch squeak but
maybe this is common on this engine. Anybody had a similar experience?
Clutch is only $54.00 but from this list it sounds as if the clutch is a
bear to remove and replace as are many things on this truck.