Re: fan clutch

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 21:56:09 EST

Hi,

My fan clutch wasn't squeaking, but I didn't like how loud it was. I ended
up buying a replacement (thermal) but it did the same thing. I'm thinking
now that my thermostat is stuck open and not causing the engine to warm up
enough in order to affect the fan clutch.

With the help of Jon, we replaced mine within an hour. You need a large
open-ended wrench to grab on to the main nut of the fan (I think we used a 1
1/4"). Jon ended up fabbing up a tool that looked like a Y with bolts
through the top of the Y part. These went into the holes of the pulley
housing. Using the two together, we were able to break the nut loose.

Check on your pulley housing for the fan clutch to see if there are any
bolts there. If there are, measure the distance and see if you can get a
loaner spanner wrench. If there are holes, maybe you can convince Jon to
have a DML Loaner Tool program :-)

If you want it; and if it fits, you can have my old fan clutch. It has 10k
miles on it. I only replaced it because I was annoyed with the noise it
made at speeds under 40 mph (loud whooshing). Considering the new one I got
does the same thing, I think it should be fine.

BTW, if you're worried about the whoosing noise, I would suggest to bite the
bullet and get the OEM fan from the dealer. It may be more, but at least it
will be quieter.

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"