Re: RE: Mirrors and Gas Tanks

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 23:22:16 EST

I just did this example this weekend...

I filled up tonight with 20.918 gallons of gas. This was after the trip
computer (above ran to zero and I put on an extra 31.1 miles). I have also
in the past ran it down to where I needed 21.6 gallons of gas to top it off.

The method in which I top off is fairly consistent, but may not be
completely accurate. I fill-up until the pump shuts off (pump says it's
full) and then continue until the next full dollar. Since I have used the
same gas station (and probably the same pump) for the last 4 years, I am
fairly accurate in my calculations.

16 gallons - Light comes on where there is about 60 miles remaining on the
overhead computer before it reports empty.
18 gallons - Overhead computer reports zero.
30 miles or so before I can't wait any longer to fill-up.

Mind you, this takes into account my overall mileage of 15.9 MPG over the
past three years.

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"