Re: RE: Mirrors and Gas Tanks

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 20:47:15 EST

On 11/26/2006 14:36, Barry Oliver wrote:

> Hardly? How much more than 17 did you add, and how long were you on E
> before you stopped?

Across all tanks where I put in more than 17 gallons, I put in, on
average, 18.012 gallons.

I had 52 tanks where I put in 18 gallons or more.

10 of 19 gallons or more.

2 of more than 20 gallons (20.10 and 21.23).

I never used the E mark on the gas gage as a guide for filling up.
Normally, if the light came on, I got gas within the next day or so
(around town), or at the next available stop if on a road trip.

> My point is that on most of the gen 3's with 22 gal tanks I have seen or
> heard of, the guage reads E and the light comes on somewhere around the
> 16-17 gal mark. But of the few 15 gal tanks I have heard of, it comes
> on at the 14 gal mark [or so]. Do you see my point? If you fill it
> when you hit E there will always be several "unuseable" gallons of gas
> in your tank...

For me, the low gas light was never a consistent 17 gallons consumed. On
road trips where I was getting really good mileage, it could be 18-19
gallons. In the winter, with only short trips, it would sometimes come
on as low as 15 gallons. I think the light is not based strictly on the
amount of gas in the tank, but rather an estimate based upon how much
gas is in the tank PLUS the recently-observed fuel consumption.

I don't see how you can consider gallons left in the tank with the
needle on E as "unusable" gas. The fuel pump is still pumping the gas to
the engine. The truck doesn't shut off. It doesn't drive itself to a gas
station. No one ever claimed that having the needle on E means that the
tank is bone-dry - if DC did that, owners would be stranded on the road
daily. I definitely didn't push my truck to the gas station to put that
21.23 gallons into it - so I would say that at most, you might have half
a gallon of "unusable" gas in there at that point.