Side Mirrors (was: Mirrors and Gas Tanks)

From: Kurt Cypher (kcypher42@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 10:36:24 EST

> I've got a couple of questions about my '97 Dakota. First, I've got
> cracks in both outside mirrors, and would like to get that fixed. I've
> seen websites where I could purchase just the mirror glass. My question
> is what's the difficulty in popping out the old glass and putting in the
> new glass (and what kind of adhesive would be best), without messing up
> the motors inside the mirror?

While the discussion of gas tank sizes has been interesting, I haven't
seen any answers to my other question. Basically, I'm curious what is
recommended: replacing the glass itself, or just replacing the entire
mirror assembly. Also, I'm contemplating buying mirrors that stick out
a little further than the stock mirrors, to make it easier to see while
towing a trailer, so I'll any take recommendations (brand, good place to
buy, etc) on those that you might have.

Thanks,
Kurt