RE: 5-speed to 727 swap?? Anyone done it??

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2006 - 18:23:27 EST

Yes, the year does matter. Early 360 magnum flexplates used one offset
mounting hole for the converter. Sometime in the mid-nineties the factory
switched to 4 evenly spaced holes. AFAIK, all 727's used torque converters
with the offset hole. A '93-'94 360 magnum flexplate would be good.

> Same with the trans. Any specific years better??

Most 727's were non-lockup. That is what you would want, in addition to
being sure it is a small-block 727. Whether you buy from him or not, talk
with John Cope at CRT... http://coperacingtrans.com/ John can fix you up
with both a trans and converter to suit your needs.

> And the last question is the crank sensor. Could I just notch out the
bellhousing for clearance??

That's what most people do. You may also want to find out if the CPS is
different for an automatic. I've heard they are different length.

Some things you didn't mention are the kickdown linkage, speedometer
gear/speed sensor, shifter and trans mount. You have that covered? You
will probably need a throttle body and bracket from an automatic truck for
connecting the kickdown/throttle valve linkage.

Ray