Re: Satellite radio

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 15:47:17 EST

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:21:42 -0500, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net>
wrote:

> I'd like to ask a question of anyone who has an in-dash stereo that gets
> satellite (either a factory Sirius unit or aftermarket). What model do
> you have, and what kind of information displays do you get when
> listening to the satellite?
>
> We've been using an add-on XM tuner, but I'd like to go to an in-dash
> receiver because this is a mess of wires. What I *do* like about the
> one we have is that it has a two-line info display, that'll do either
> station name + artist, or station + song, or artist + song. I'd like it
> even better if it had three lines and could display all of that
> information simultaneously.
>
> None of the marketing materials for the aftermarket head units gives
> enough information on what they display from the satellite, and the
> salesdroid at the local audio shop doesn't really know either. And of
> course none of their display models has a satellite tuner hooked up to
> it.
>
> Thanks.

I have an Alpine head unit that is XM ready. It is the first generation
salttelite ready head units. I have an external box that actually does the
decoding. I have that under my seat. The display on my unit is limited. It
only shows one line at a time so you have to cycle through. It is also
limited in characters which is quite lame. So you don't the entire title
or whatever it is if it is over. There is no scrolling. I suspect that
later versions have been improved upon. As for getting the info about a
particular unit yopui are looking at, go to the manufacturer's website and
download the manual. That should tell you what the display is like and how
it operates.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure