Re: Speaking of hubs and bearings

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 07:46:33 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 21:30, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>> The whole job, in a shop, with the right tools and all the parts,
>> should take a mechanic no more than 3 hours TOPS start to finish.
>

> You've never pulled a unit hub that's been installed for years in a
> salt state have you?

Christine came from Hartford CT and was a plow truck for the 12 years
prior to my buying her - and they use salt in Wisc too :-)

> once everything is unbolted it can take 3 hours to get that damn hub
> out of the knuckle if it's anything similar to the D30 unit hub design
> used in the TJs (which I think it is pretty much identical to the
> Dakota's - in which case each bearing is held on by 3 bolts, not 4)
>
> I would not be surprised if book hours are 4-5 hours each plus alignment.

Christines hubs are 4 bolts - about 98% sure the Gen II's are as well.
Not sure about Gen III's

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine