Re: fan clutch squeak repost (sort of)

From: al klabunde (phoneman94@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 09:20:32 EST

--- Spook <richardfiser@mchsi.com> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:19:06 -0600
> > From: Spook <richardfiser@mchsi.com>
> > Subject: DML: fan clutch
> >
> > 98 Dakota--3.9--46000 miles
> > Yesterday I noticed a squeaking noise coming from
> the engine
> > compartment. I checked the clutch with the engine
> off. I attempted to
> > free spin it with the engine off and it only
> turned a few degrees. Fan
> > feels tight. I was worried about the water pump
> but no wobble or
> > leaking. Today I had someone turn the engine off
> while I watched the
> > fan. The engine stopped, squeaking continued till
> the fan stopped,
> > approximately 2 revolutions. I've never heard a
> fan clutch squeak but
> > maybe this is common on this engine. Anybody had a
> similar experience?
> > Clutch is only $54.00 but from this list it sounds
> as if the clutch is a
> > bear to remove and replace as are many things on
> this truck.
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> On Nov 18 I posted this message. No reply but I
> sprayed the shaft with a
> product called Fluid Film by a company, Eureka
> Chemical Co.
> www.eurekafluidfilm . The squeaking stopped after
> only a few minutes and
> hasn't returned. What I am wondering is if this is a
> false fix. I mean
> have I just cured a symptom of a fan clutch failure
> or have I cured an
> annoying squeak with no other harm done?
> Thanks for any replies.
> Hey Rich, Sounds to me like a water pump. I had one
on a 95 ply voyager that squeeked and when I would
spray WD40 on it,it would stop until one day it leaked
big time. I have a 98 Dak 5.2 The water pump went out
at 100,000 miles. It's not that big of a deal,just
time consuming. I used the opertunity to change all
hoses and serp belt. You pull the fan shroud and
radiator.With a large adjustabla wrench on the fan
nut,wedge something between the belt and pulley to
stop fan from turning. Then give the wrench a wack an
the nut will come loose. I replaced my fan clutch at
the same time with one from Advance with life time
warn. It lasted all of two weeks and begin to wabble.
I took it back and this one is good. I became wery
good at changeing clutches. Hope this helps you. Al