Re: Front Differential Fluid

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 11:18:38 EST

snickzip-dml@yahoo.com wrote:

: I'm preparing to change the front diff fluid on a 99 DAK. It appears a lot more
: difficult to remove the cover then when I did the rear. Would it be O.K. just
: to siphon the fluid out without removing the cover? Also I forget which RTV do
: you use to install the cover. Thanks

   You can, although then you miss the opportunity to inspect
the gears and if there is any metal sludge at the bottom, you
probably won't get any of that out. As far as re-installing
the cover goes, I've always used the orange RTV (ultra copper
I think it is). That's probably overkill, the blue or black
would probably work just as well, and it wouldn't need to be a
high temp variant.

--
                                          -Jon-