Re: Front Differential Fluid

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 11:37:22 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> snickzip-dml@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> : I'm preparing to change the front diff fluid on a 99 DAK. It appears a lot more
> : difficult to remove the cover then when I did the rear. Would it be O.K. just
> : to siphon the fluid out without removing the cover? Also I forget which RTV do
> : you use to install the cover. Thanks
>

> You can, although then you miss the opportunity to inspect
> the gears and if there is any metal sludge at the bottom, you
> probably won't get any of that out. As far as re-installing
> the cover goes, I've always used the orange RTV (ultra copper
> I think it is). That's probably overkill, the blue or black
> would probably work just as well, and it wouldn't need to be a
> high temp variant.

I 2nd Jons recommendation. It is best to pull the cover and get a
chance to inspect stuff. The only thing that would make popping the
front cover harder than the rear, would be the center link of the
steering linkage.

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine