Re: Front Differential Fluid

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 13:00:09 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> snickzip-dml@yahoo.com wrote:
:>
:> : I'm preparing to change the front diff fluid on a 99 DAK. It appears a lot more
:> : difficult to remove the cover then when I did the rear. Would it be O.K. just
:> : to siphon the fluid out without removing the cover? Also I forget which RTV do
:> : you use to install the cover. Thanks
:>
:>
:> You can, although then you miss the opportunity to inspect
:> the gears and if there is any metal sludge at the bottom, you
:> probably won't get any of that out. As far as re-installing
:> the cover goes, I've always used the orange RTV (ultra copper
:> I think it is). That's probably overkill, the blue or black
:> would probably work just as well, and it wouldn't need to be a
:> high temp variant.
:>
:>

: I 2nd Jons recommendation. It is best to pull the cover and get a
: chance to inspect stuff. The only thing that would make popping the
: front cover harder than the rear, would be the center link of the
: steering linkage.

  Yeah, I guess I have probably helped to do the fluid in
the front cover on Norah's old Dak at some point, but I
don't recall that now. I do remember doing it on Ed's 2000
and it was a bit of a hassle just 'cause its sort've like a
3D puzzle of some sort to get the cover back in there without
smearing the RTV. The steering linkage gets in the way.

--
                                          -Jon-