Re: Hood Latch

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2006 - 12:29:44 EST

DAKSY wrote:

> Hey, DML!
> Who's the Gen III body parts expert? (Keep it CLEAN! LOL)
> Since I had the windshield replaced, the hood mech on the DAKSY has been
> acting up...hadda slam the hood a coupla times to engage the secondary
> latch mechanism...now it won't engage at all...It's well-lubed with
> white lithium grease & the cable seems to be unbroken...The cable is
> attached to the under-dash release lever & moves when the lever
> moves...I tried pushing the latching mech with a screwdriver & there
> seems to be no way to lock the mech in the engaged position...Is there
> something I'm missing here? I can call my bud at CP Dodge World to get
> me a new mech at his cost, but I'd like to make sure which item is
> malfunctioning...I guess I COULD replace everything from the dash to the
> grille, but I'd rather isolate the bad component & replace that...
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob (DAKSY) Smith
> DAKSY2K on AIM
> 2K SY Dakota Sport +
> V-6 4 x 4 5 speed
> 2K05 HD 883C YP
>
> http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/
> Averill Park, NY

Bob,
   Are you able to latch it [fist stage] but not lock it[second stage]?
   I had this problem too, but for different reasons. On the left and
right front corners of your fenders there are adjustable rubber bumpers,
about like the adjustable pads on the botttom of appliances. Try
adjusting them as far down as possible to see if your hood will latch.
on mine one was godawful tight, but the other was loose, so I would
occasionally brush it and adjust it up high enough to keep the hood from
latching. It's also possible the weatherstrip on the rear of the
hood/cowl is just buggered enough to cause the same effect - keeping the
hood just far enough out of alignment to keep it from latching properly.