RE: Oil FIlters

From: Rick Barnes (rascal@scrtc.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 11:23:40 EST

Yay, we have yet another "expert"...

Rascal

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Bill Maurits
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 7:05 AM
To: DML
Subject: DML: Oil FIlters

Pretty much Fram is JUNK! LOTS of Quality control problems. The 2 best
filters on the market are Wix and Purolator. I wouldn't even bother w/
K&N and others like it because you are paying 2X+ for a filter that
doesn't filter any better than a Wix or Purolator. Purolators are
easier to find in my area so I use the 'PL' series, not the 'L'
series. The PL's have a little better FPE (first pass efficiency), and
they are not even close to the price of a K&N.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that because you are running a
synthetic that you can go 10,000+ between oil and filter changes. The
length of time that you can use your oil depends on how well it's
FILTERED. If you're gonna do extended mileage on oil, at least change
the filter EVERY 3000 miles, and then top off the engine oil. If you
filter gets clogged w/ the crap in your oil and stops filtering, you
are doing more harm than good by leaving the 'dirty' oil in. I
personally run Mobil 1 and change the oil AND filter every 3000 miles.

Bill M
01 Dakota CC SLT 2WD, 4.7L Auto, 3.55 SG