Re: RE: Oil FIlters

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 16:45:44 EST

Ray Block wrote:
> [...]

FRAM *ARE* junk. At least from a construction standpoint I have seen
this conclusion in several "cut em open" studies. Filtration is another
complete ball park for us to play in when it comes to bench racing...
while we can all slice open filters, not everyone has a lab we can use
to test filtered oil.

Going back to my "plugged oil filter issue"

http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0610/0019.html

With my vast lack of scientific experimentation and lack of any
supporting data... my gut feeling is that the vast majority of filters
out on the market all will clean oil pretty much just as good as others.
  Unless you go into performance stuff with synthetic peices and what
not. All oil filters have to deliver oil at a certain rate, that fact
alone is going to have an effect on filtration because the oil can't be
restriced much. Thus I believe the issue of construction is perhaps a
more level playing field for the general masses of filters.

On a construction level, FRAMS filters have consistantly shown poor
quality pleated filter media glued to card board end peices. With poor
quality anti drain back and bypass valves.

here are some links..

Good info as to why I say stay away from "Mopar" oil filters

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

Filter by filter examination of whats out there.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Hmm very interesting... on the link above, the page lists the BOSCH as
being untouched and not summed up yet. But on the overview page
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html - they say that the
BOSCH is a champion filter and that they didn't like them! Hmm - I
didn't know BOSCH were champion filters. (shrugs) The one I cut apart
seemed well made compared to the FRAMS and a couple others I opened up.
  (AZ Valucraft, AC Delco)

Guess I've been using champion filters all this time and never knew it.
  Interesting :)

P.S. It does seem that the data on the site is a little out of date as
his conclusions page is dated 11/7/03. It would seem likely that some
of this has changed.

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine